Apr 8, 2016

Recent Reads: Aphrodite: Goddess of Love by George O'Connor


Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)Aphrodite: Goddess of Love by George O'Connor
Series: Olympians #6
Publisher: First Second
Publication Date:  December 2013



 

Format: Paperback
Source: Gifted


Rating:
 


 


Goodreads Synopsis: 
In volume six of Olympians, graphic novel author/artist George O'Connor turns the spotlight on Aphrodite, the goddess of love. Look for the same thoroughly researched and wonderfully accessible comics storytelling as O'Connor tackles the story of the Aphrodite from her dramatic birth (emerging from sea-foam) to her role in the Trojan War.

O'Connor has outdone himself with this volume: the story is riveting and the artwork is beyond compare. Greek mythology has never been so vivid!
 Review: 
Apparently I am late to the party with these - I have never seen these graphic novels nor have I heard of this author before now, and I am sad about that, but so happy that I have found these now. I received Aphrodite from my pen pal (yes, I have a real pen pal - she is awesome and I love writing to her). She shared with me that she is just starting to read graphic novels and really is enjoying these - and I completely agree with her. 

This isn't your normal graphic novel, but only in that you are getting a lesson on Greek mythology while reading it versus just reading a story. I like that and think that these would be a creative way to teach about Greek Mythology as well.

The images were wonderful and the lesson/tale was great and I learned a few things that I did not know already - so I would call that a win.  If you like variety in your graphic novels I suggest this one (I have not read the series yet but I can only assume they are good too), or if you want to learn some mythology it would be great for that too.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment