Aug 1, 2014

Early Reader Review: Get Lost, Odysseus by Kate McMullan

Get Lost, Odysseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #10)
Get Lost, Odysseus! by Kate McMullan
Series:Myth-o-Mania #10
Publisher: Stone Arch Books
Publication Date:  August 1, 2014



 

Format: ebook
Source: Netgalley and Capstone for review. Receiving this ebook in no way effects my review or opinion of the ebook.


Rating:



Goodreads Synopsis: 
In this humorous version of Greek mythology, Hades, King of the Underworld, tells the true story of Odysseus and his ten-year journey home from Troy...

You might think you know all about The Odyssey, but until you read Get Lost, Odysseus!, you don't know the truth. With Kate McMullan's trademark blend of humor and details from the original tale, Get Lost, Odysseus! tells the Greek classic in a brand-new way. The Trojan War is over, but now Odysseus has to find his way home to Ithaca...and in typical fashion, he's angered Poseidon enough that the sea-god has decided to make his journey miserable (if not impossible). But Hades has a soft spot for the long-gone warrior, so even if he's sworn to Poseidon he won't help Odysseus directly, he might be able to pull a few strings...

 Review: 

I have only read one other Myth-O-Mania book, but I find them so fun! They are a great way for kids to learn about Greek mythology - be it in a slightly skewed way – overall the background story is there.

In Get Lost, Odysseus we read about the story of the Odyssey from our favorite person, Hades. He tells the story as if he could not interfere with Poseidon’s wrath on Odysseus, so the story is pretty close to the normal one we learned in school. The tale is made even more fun and funny by Hades’ commentary throughout, especially when it comes to his dog Cerberus.

So anyways, back to the tale at hand: Odysseus is on his way home from the Trojan War, he is a hero, and then he makes the gods angry and gets stranded at sea in various places on his way home, only to be greeted once there by suitors trying to marry his wife.

I love this Greek tale, so many awesome things happen to Odysseus along the way and in this children’s book they are there too – the Cyclops, the sirens, sea monsters – you name it. I think any kid would be stoked to read this one (and they will be learning too, so it is a win-win).
 

Other Myth-O-Mania Reviews

2 comments:

  1. I actually just started this book last night! It IS a lot if fun and overall it's pretty accurate retelling of the myths. Other books I have read in the series are the Helen one, Theseus, and I think I might have read Hercules, but I don't remember. I think I also read the very first one with Hades, as well.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, I was so excited when I saw this in your book haul. I'm so glad it lived up to all its hype. It looks and sounds so fun, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete