Dec 26, 2013

Recent Reads: Wicked Kiss by Michelle Rowen


Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Publication Date: February 26, 2013

 
Format: Ebook
Source: Netgalley and HarlequinTEEN

My Rating:



Goodreads Synopsis:
My kiss can kill.

I used to be ordinary Samantha Day, but that's changed. Now, after one dark kiss from a dangerous boy, I can steal someone's soul…or their life. If I give in to the constant hunger inside me, I hurt anyone I kiss. If I don't…I hurt myself.

Bishop is the one whose kiss I crave most, but if I kiss him, I'll kill him. Then there's another boy, one I can't hurt. One whose kiss seems to miraculously quell my hunger. They're both part of a team of angels and demons that's joined forces in my city to fight a mysterious rising darkness, an evil that threatens everyone I know and love. I just wonder if I'll be able to help Bishop—or if I'm just another part of the darkness he's sworn to destroy….

NIGHTWATCHERS: When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising…

Review:
It has been a while that this book has been sitting in my Kindle needing to be read, and I FINALLY got around to it. I feel like such a slacker.

What I remember of Dark Kiss was a series of angels and demons and Sam, the main character, who has a crazy supernatural past that she does not know about. I have to say that Wicked Kiss helped bring a lot of the key plot points out again for the slacker of a reader that I am. It took key plot points from Dark Kiss and reiterated quite well in the rise and fall of this new book.

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FROM DARK KISS

Samantha has no soul; it was taken from her by her crazy aunt in an attempt to unleash chaos into the town of Trinity. While this would be a sucky situation for most, Sam is using it to her advantage, to learn about her new-found powers while also having to control her unending hunger for souls from others. In Wicked Kiss, Sam must come to terms with her soulless existence or find a way out of it by retrieving her soul from the guy who took it. Luckily this book picks up almost immediately after the end of the last one, no summer lag time, no year or two later schemes. That is one of the things I really liked about the plot, it really shoved the reader right back into the plotline. 

While I liked that aspect there were a few things that I was more keen on noticing reading the second book that the first, for example, there was a lot of instalove or even just flat out attraction going on.  Between Bishop and his demon brother there was a lot of tension when it came to who wanted Sam more, it was amusing, don’t get me wrong, but all of a sudden Kraven wanted in on the fun? It was a little strange.

I found Sam to be both strong and whiney at times, it was either her throwing a typical teenage tantrum or being wise beyond her years and I doubt most teens are like that, one way or the other, not both.

I did really like the plot, it kept me pulled in and I read the book in one sitting. Like I mentioned it picks right up where Dark Kiss left off and just keeps running, there are more greys to deal with, more angel/demon teaming up to vanquish them, more crazy people showing up to haunt the town and even an appearance of more of Sam’s family… Overall it was a very captivating read.

No comments:

Post a Comment