May 24, 2013

Recent Reads Review: Zom-B Underground by Darren Shan

Zom-B Underground (Zom-B, #2)
Zom-B Underground by Darren Shan
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Available: Now!

Format: Hardback 
Source: Bought, My Library

My
Rating:





 

After yesterday's review of Zom-B, here is a review for Zom-B Underground, book two in the series. 

 


Background: Zom-B Underground is a continuation of book one and picks up with B a few months after the attack, only thing is – B doesn’t remember anything. NOTE: Haven’t read book 1? Stop reading this review… I don’t want to spoil it for you.


Review: If you have read the first book, you may have noticed a lot of big events happen at the end of Zom-B. (I am still hesitant about pointing them out, because I really don’t want to spoil the fun). We pick up with B in an underground facility where zombies are being held for experimentation and observation. In this plotline, we learn about the zombies and their various abilities, some are the norm – slow walking, brain eating monsters – then there are others who still have brain function –they communicate, know their morals when they aren’t hungry and are almost human, except for the fact that they are dead. 


B has a lot of character development in this installment and there is less of the ‘I’m a racist because my dad wants me to be’ mentality and more finding of oneself. Like in book 1 the plot takes a while to pick up, the action doesn’t start until about half way through, but once you get there it is difficult to put the book down. I think that is where I am going to leave my review of book two…I can’t share more without messing up the plot of book one. Aside from the complex issues in the series, it is enjoyable. The books are short, only 200 pages and they have awesome inked images throughout, so if you need a light read and enjoy zombies, this could be a series for you.


The series is continued with Zom-B City and Zom- B Angels, the next two books in the series. Shan is also the author of The City trilogy, the Cirque du Freak series and the Demonata series.



Review first posted at The Nerd Cave

No comments:

Post a Comment