Apr 4, 2013

Recent Reads: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Macmillan Young Listeners
Available: Now!

 

Format: Audiobook
Source: Digital Library

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Background: Cinder is a cyborg adopted by a strange family in New Beijing. She is responsible for the family income now that her father has died of a plague that is ravaging the country. Cinder works as a mechanic, one of the best, for her stepmother and two stepsisters; until one day when the Prince shows up to have work done on an Android. Now Cinder is starting to lead two lives and she is not sure how to balance them...maybe she will just run away.

Review: I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, yes I know almost everyone enjoyed it, but I am not really a sci-fi person and wasn't sure how I was going to feel about a childhood classic being made into a cyborg. I loved it, the story was unique compared to a normal Cinderella story. I think Cinder is strong and a great role model, not obsessing over a boy, but trying to protect her country and self.

I found that it was hard to listen to the audiobook at times while I was at work, it almost stressed me out. I wanted to kill the stepmother and one of the sisters, and the Lunar Queen for all being rude and self centered and witchy with a B.

Other than the fact that I wanted to kill these characters, Cinder, the Dr. and the Prince are all great to follow and I loved when they were all together in the story.

The plot was interesting and I could see where they were going but the ending still surprised the heck outta me, so overall great read/listen.



View all my reviews

5 comments:

  1. I really liked this book too. I read it though, didn't listen to it. I can imagine it would have been really hard to listen to while working. Yikes!

    The author did an amazing job on it. I agree that the whole part with Cinder being strong and not just obsessing over a boy was really well done. I haven't got my hands on Scarlet yet, but I'm super excited to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, listening to it at work made work all the more stressful, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I really Loved Cinder, too. Are you going to run out and find Scarlet? I have not had a chance to read it yet, but I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to run out and get Scarlet... I need to, but I have a lot of other things I have to read right now :/ I will get it soon though :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed the audiobook, I think the audio for Scarlet is even better :)
    I definitely recommend listening to Scarlet! The new characters are awesome!

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete