Apr 21, 2012

Recent Reads: City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Background: City of Fallen Angels picks up where the last book left off, really just Jace and Clary lovingly being back in NYC. All is well until their relationships starts falling apart and talk of Shadowhunter killings has the Clave concerned.

Review: Ok so, I really liked books 1-3, and I thought this was only a trilogy, so what on earth was the point of this book? I am pretty sure she could have gotten away with only writing the first 3, we could have ended with a 'happily ever after.' The City of Fallen Angels is a strange addition to this series, the first three where action-packed suspenseful books with love triangles thrown every which way. Book 4 is a lot of dialogue, I mean A LOT of dialogue, from Jace, Simon, Clary, even new people... it was talking galore. We didn't get action until chapter 16, if that and it was short and not as suspenseful as it could have been (my opinion). I feel like this was just another way for the author to milk an already successful series.

I must say that the ending was pretty good, and I will be reading the next book(s) that come from the series, I just feel like this one was filler.

It does have some redeeming qualities, thus 2 stars instead of one: What's interesting about this book is that we have a lot more from Simon's point of view, I am glad we are learning more about how he feels being a vampire.
I also kind of like that Jace is finally portrayed for what he is...a self-centered jerk. The whole story was talking about what was wrong between Clary and Jace and instead of talking through problems he turned inward and became an ass.

Waiting until the next installation: May 2012....


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I have an edition of city of bones now that advertises it as a trilogy. So I guess it was meant to be just 3, but someone got greedy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can kind of tell, and for the longest time even while reading them I was expecting only three. I can see that she wanted to progress the story but the amount of build up in book four was a little much.

      S

      Delete